About 110,000 Californians have bought a gun since the coronavirus arrived, study says

About 110,000 Californians have bought a gun since the coronavirus arrived, study says

Freddy Torres of Buena Park shoots his gun at the Riverside Indoor Shooting Range in March, after the start of COVID-19 pandemic. In the first five months of the COVID-19, thousands of Californians bought new guns and changed the way they stored their firearms in a bid to counter the unrest, government crackdowns and societal disintegration they feared would be unleashed by the public health emergency, a new survey has found. The UC Davis researchers who conducted the survey detected shifts in gun ownerships trends that they said are likely to drive an uptick in firearm-related injuries and deaths, including suicides and the consequences of accidental discharges. By mid-July, the pandemic was cited as a factor in the purchase of an estimated 110,000 new firearms in the state , they reported. The majority of those sales — 57% — were to people who already owned at least one gun. But the remaining 43% went to people who did not previously own a firearm. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. That figure suggests the pandemic has helped spur the creation of as many as 47,300 new gun-owning households in the state, the UC Davis team reported this month to MedRxiv, a website where researchers share their preliminary work. Many of those are homes that include children, teens and others at risk of self-injury, they added. The California Safety and Wellbeing Survey was given to 2,870 Californians selected to serve as a representative sample of the […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.