Ghost Guns: Untraceable firearms in hands of hobbyists, felons and children

Ghost Guns: Untraceable firearms in hands of hobbyists, felons and children

Untraceable firearms in hands of hobbyists, felons and children (ABC7) Untraceable firearms in hands of hobbyists, felons and children (ABC7) CLARKSBURG, Md. (ABC7) — You can build a gun in your own home, using simple tools, with no serial number for police to trace it, and it’s all legal. Law enforcement veterans say they’re worried about the increasing numbers of untraceable firearms, also known as “ghost guns.” WHAT IS A 80% LOWER RECEIVER? The US Gun Control Act of 1968 allows for the assembly of parts leading to the construction of an unregistered weapon. ATF guidelines state that as long as gun parts are not more than 80 percent completed into a working firearm, then they are not legally considered a gun. That allows for retailers to sell nearly complete parts, with easy-to-follow instructions to finish the remaining 20 percent needed to bring the gun parts into a firing condition. Most online retailers ship across state lines using standard delivery companies. A complete Glock 19 kit is among the simplest kits to assemble, costing just more than $600, a few hundred dollars more than a store-bought Glock 19. Most commercially available firearm’s parts can be purchased. That includes AR-15-variant rifles. Assembly of those rifles involves tools not standard among most homeowners, including a drill press. Assembly of most handguns can be accomplished with standard household tools, including a power drill and power precision sanding tool. Using printed instructions, a easy to follow plastic jig surrounding the lower receiver part […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.