Guest view: Permitless carry bill is good for Montanans

Guest view: Permitless carry bill is good for Montanans

Last year, Montanans went to the polls and voted for a ballot initiative that made gun laws uniform throughout Montana so that gun owners would always know what is legal and what isn’t — regardless if they were in Billings or Ismay. The passing of that initiative, LR-130, made clear Montanans know what’s right for their state. Montana has a long and rich firearm tradition. Montanans know firearms, they understand firearms, and they’re safe and responsible with their firearms. In fact, they’re among the most responsible and law-abiding firearm owners in the country. Therefore, it is only appropriate that the next step be constitutional carry. HB 102 would allow law-abiding Montana gun owners to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense throughout the state without written authorization from the government. Currently, constitutional carry is the law in 99.4 percent of Montana — that leaves .6 percent of the state having different rules than the rest. It’s confusing, and it will easily ensnare an otherwise law-abiding individual who doesn’t realize they’ve passed into a no-carry zone. This has to change, and that’s what HB 102 will do. If a person is legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm in the vast majority of Montana, they should be allowed to carry throughout the entire state. It’s logical: residents won’t behave like criminals because they’ve crossed an arbitrary line. If a person is law-abiding in 99.4 percent of the state, why wouldn’t they remain law-abiding in the other 0.6%? Sixteen states – Alaska, […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.