New Zealand Shooting Updates: Multiple Fatalities After 2 Mosques Are Hit

New Zealand Shooting Updates: Multiple Fatalities After 2 Mosques Are Hit

Gun Rights

Mark Baker/Associated Press Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the shooting on Friday at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.” • Officials reported a significant number of casualties and said that four people were in custody, adding that a number of explosive devices were found attached to vehicles that they had stopped. • They asked residents of the affected areas to stay indoors as they sought to rule out the possibility of other attackers. • A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as it took place during Friday prayers. The police called on mosques nationally to “shut their doors” and urged people to stay away from the mosques until further notice. • A video and manifesto that appeared to be by a gunman involved in the shooting were posted online on the day of the attack. Two mosques are attacked Shots were fired at a mosque on Deans Avenue near Hagley Park, and a second mosque on Linwood Avenue was also attacked, the police said. They said that four people, including three men and one woman, had been taken into custody. The country’s police commissioner, Mike Bush, urged people not to go to mosques anywhere in New Zealand on Friday. He also urged mosques nationally to shut their doors, advising them to “close your doors until you hear from us again.” Calling the situation “very serious and grave,” Mr. Bush said that the police were in the […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.