OC fairgrounds board pulls back from seeking veto of bill banning gun shows

OC fairgrounds board pulls back from seeking veto of bill banning gun shows

A display case of semi automatic pistols and revolvers at the Crossroads of the West gun show in Costa Mesa, CA on Saturday, August 17, 2019. (Photo by Mindy Schauer, Orange County Register/SCNG) Orange County fairgrounds officials hit the brakes Monday on urging Gov. Gavin Newsom veto a bill to ban gun shows at the OC Fair and Event Center. They also held off on approving new contracts to hold gun shows there in 2022, under threat of litigation by state Sen. Dave Min, who wrote the bill that would prohibit gun shows. Min’s bill as originally written would have barred all state-owned property , including fairgrounds, from hosting gun shows. It was passed by both houses of the state legislature and awaits signing by Newsom, but Min said it was rewritten in an Assembly committee without his consent so that it now only covers the Orange County fairgrounds. Faced with the potential loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual revenue, the fair board met Monday to discuss sending Newsom a letter that, in a draft shown at the meeting, would have said the gun show ban “will not enhance public safety” and asked him to veto the bill. The Crossroads of the West gun show has been held at the OC fairgrounds since 1996 and takes place about three or four weekends a year, each time drawing thousands of visitors. Data previously received from fair officials shows that the events – not including parking fees – […]

Click here to view original web page at OC fairgrounds board pulls back from seeking veto of bill banning gun shows

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.